It’s the 12 Days of Christmas here at Luvcrumbs!
After a major blogging hiatus during exam period, I am in full-on holiday mode. Leading up to Christmas, I will be posting a new gifting/baking/celebrating idea each day to make your season a little brighter.
While touring Dundurn Castle in Hamilton yesterday (one of my favourite Christmas activities), I learned that the 12 days of Christmas traditionally began on Christmas eve, and continued until the Epiphany on January 6th. Now, I’m all for tradition, but the idea of santa cookies after Christmas just seems ridiculous. Therefore, I will be bringing you a new project everyday from now until December 24th. Think of it as my gift to you.
First stop: Spare Noses. For Rudolph. From Santa. Get it?
These miniature cookies are perfect for the reindeer in your life who needs a little extra help guiding his/her sleigh. Be sure to make lots: we wouldn’t want Santa (and all of those glorious presents) to be held up by a red nose shortage.
This recipe will make about 6 small jars worth. You’ll need:
- 6 smallish jars (recycled or new) mine are about 3″x3″ at the base, and about 5″ tall (thank you Dollarama!)
- 6 labels to fit your jars
- ribbon or raffia for adornment
- about 3 tbsp red gel food colouring
- 1 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- plastic wrap
- 1 cup red sanding sugar
- small round cookie cutter (roughly 1″ diameter)